Where can you ride and who might you meet

Greenways and Trails – horse riders , cyclists, walkers, wheelchairs and motorised scooters.

Public Bridleways – horse riders, cyclists and walkers.

Restricted Byways – horse riders, horse and carriages, cyclists and walkers.

Byways Open to All Traffic – cars, motorbikes, horse and carriage, horse riders, cyclists, and walkers.

Other Routes with Public Access – other routes with public access.

Permissive Routes – across private land some landowners might impose charges.

Horse riding locations shown on maps.

You may ride or lead a horse on:

public bridleways(B/W), restricted byways(R/B) or routes used as public paths (RUPPs), byways open to all traffic (BOATs), other routes with public access (ORPAs), unclassified roads and roads; permissive bridleways; some commons;  and on paid-permit toll rides. You may also use routes where you have the permission of the land owner, even if they are footpaths, and other established routes where you are a legitimate user.  We often refer to all horse riding routes collectively as ‘bridleways’.

Motor vehicles may only use some access tracks to land/property, unclassified roads, BOATs, some ORPAs and roads; horse-drawn carriages may use these and restricted byways.

Bicycles may use bridleways as well but are required under law to give way to walkers and horse riders. Pedestrians of course can use all.

You may not ride or lead a horse on public footpaths or cycle trails created under the Cycle Tracks Act 1984 unless you have permission of the landowner.

The best way to find out where the above routes are is to buy the relevant Ordnance Survey Explorer Map at 1:25 000 scale; to learn how to read the map and then to check the DCC website regarding any open access land closures shown on interactive maps.  As most forestry is open access land closures are indicative of harvesting operations which are likely to affect PRoW in the vicinity.

For more information see the ROUTES section on the OUR AREA page and use the links to the Derbyshire Council website which includes maps showing suggested routes for horse riding.

Be aware that the status of ‘National Trails’ shown on OS maps as larger diamond symbols varies from roads down to footpaths.   Routes may be permanently diverted (by the Council following a legal process ) and in a different place to the most recent OS map; in such cases there is usually waymarking.

Reporting horse riding incidents, accidents or near misses.

Please report all incidents or accidents on horseback on the BHS website. The site also offers a wide range of information and advice including on safety and accident prevention.  Follow this link to the BHS Reporting Equestrian Incidents web page:- Reporting Equestrian Incidents

Reasons why you should do this so there is a national database of evidence. If you don’t do this there is no record so effectively as far as everyone else is concerned it hasn’t happened! There is no reason for anything to change in terms of the law or good practise so others may have the same accident as you again and again. We are often asked, if for example we say that self=closing gates are potentially dangerous, for numbers of accidents. If we cannot produce data we can appear unprofessional and over cautious

Reporting criminal activity

This may include illegal motor vehicle use, anti social behaviour and dog incidents on bridleways. Always phone from the scene or as soon as possible afterwards. In an emergency always call 999, if its not an emergency call 101. To access the 101 service via text 18001101 This should generate a report but you should ask for an incident number.

Reporting surface or obstruction problems on bridleways

Essentially Derbyshire County Council are responsible for the surface of the Public Rights of Way (PRoW) and landowners are responsible for maintaining the open width free of obstruction to allow safe passage of the legitimate users.  Any furniture such as fences and gates are the responsibility of the landowner not the Council even if the Council installed them. Livestock also are the responsibility of the landowner. As the law stands (apart from dairy bulls) you would need to have an accident or possibly a ‘near miss’ on a PRoW (see reporting accidents above), before then claiming that the livestock, including stallions and other loose equines, were ‘dangerous’ animals. The Council have the powers to put up signs and waymarking.Unless you know the landowner, and feel you can safely speak to them about a perceived problem informally, it is best to report all surface and obstruction problems to the Council in writing.

If you wish to report an obstruction or maintenance problem on a Right of Way please contact:

Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190      OR      via email using the following:  LINK

For more information on visiting Derbyshire use the following links:

 The Derbyshire Tourist Board  and The Peak District National Park Authority

A great deal of information about Green Lanes can be found at the Peak District Green Lanes Alliance website.